A man guards the Colossus of Ramses II in Memphis, Egypt.

The colossus was discovered in 1820 by the Italian traveler Giovanni Caviglia and was originally located on the southern flank of the Great Temple of Ptah, located in Memphis, capital of the Ancient Kingdom of Egypt. It was located south of the Nile River delta, in the region between Lower and Upper Egypt.

The figure is in the Mit Rahina Museum, an Egyptian open-air museum located near the necropolis of Memphis.

 

Leave a Reply